Caturday quickie: Things and stuff are happening


On Monday, Union Gas retrenched the gas line, as promised. Plus, we got a lovely new meter out of it. We’d just had our meter upgraded last year, but this one’s even nicer 😉

Tuesday passed without much activity, but a huge chunk of a cliff fell onto Regent Street the week previous and we figured the crew was occupied elsewhere. A jumbo (rock drill) appeared in the driveway, however.

Wednesday, the foreman dropped by to talk to my mom (she lives right beside us). He was going to talk to Phil and me after work.

By the time we got home, the front steps had been relocated beside the house, and our rosebushes and honeysuckle torn out.


My steps are beside themselves 😛

The foreman came by, as promised, and advised that they would be drilling holes in the rock to prepare for blasting on Friday. We took him down to see the piece of the rock that was in our basement, and he advised us to take down anything fragile or valuable. While his aim was not to damage anything, they would be blasting.

They were drilling tonnes of holes and packing smaller amounts of explosive into each to break up the rock, but not carry the damage to the foundation.


Thursday was Nuala’s next glucose curve. We dropped her off and discovered that while she looks to be in much better physical shape, she’d actually lost a half kilogram from last week. We think she’s rebuilding muscle.

When we went back to pick Nuala up at 6:30, we learned that she’d been a clinic dog for the day. After two hours in the kennel, she wouldn’t stop pawing at the bars. The vet, remembering her Houdini of last week, said, “She’s not staying in there. Might as well let her out.”

Nu spent most of the day in the vet’s office, or wandering the back room.

Her sugars were still too high, so we were advised to up her insulin dose by another unit and come back in three weeks for another curve.

We’re using the VetPen now and it’s supposed to be better with respect to ensuring a consistent dosage of insulin, but we still feel more confident in our ability to draw a proper syringe. Maybe it will just take a little getting used to.


The drilling was done on Thursday evening.

On Friday, I was home sick, but the blasting started, as scheduled.

The City Engineer came by and I signed off on the plans. He explained that there might be further delays as the person completing their retaining walls was behind by a few weeks. The plans for a full height retaining wall with railing are still going forward, however.

They’re even selecting a railing colour to harmonize with our house, either in a sand, or dark brown.

Our driveway will be fully repaved, with proper substrate, and the two water shut-off pipes will be repaired.

The foreman came by before every blast and asked if I wouldn’t be more comfortable outside the house. I assured him I would be fine. And I was, but the actual shockwave from the blast was something else. I felt the whole house do the wave 🙂


So this is how things look now. As you can see, the rock is all nicely broken up and they left the blast mats in place to keep things more or less tidy until they come back to clear things out on Tuesday.


And that’s where we are.

Phil and I are going to enjoy our Thanksgiving long weekend.

Tonight is Doctor Who night 🙂

Caturday Quickies

6 thoughts on “Caturday quickie: Things and stuff are happening

  1. I hope the rest of this job goes ahead quickly and without problems. It will be nice to see a picture of the property finally finished with the new retaining walls and railings in place.
    xxx Massive Hugs xxx

    Liked by 1 person

Comments are closed.