Didja miss me?
Let’s just get right to the good stuff.
As was the case with September and August before it, October was a month in which I was focused on non-word-count-y stuff.
I finished off my read through and note-taking on Apprentice of Wind and the rest of the time I was making notes in preparation for tackling Wavedancer (book three of the epic fantasy series) as this year’s NaNoWriMo project.
I knew that I’d likely be writing the novel into the New Year. 50k is only half the length of any epic worthy of the name 😉
I had some trepidation, however, as I knew I’d be out of town, training for the day job for the first week of November, and I had Wordstock Sudbury upon my return, the launch of the Sudbury Writers’ Guild anthology, Sudbury Ink, the weekend following, and my own, belated birthday celebration the weekend after that.
And I was only able to use two days of vacation leave in November. Otherwise, I was working.
I fully expected a repeat of 2014, during which I was also working. That year, I didn’t even crack 30k, but I went on to finish the draft over the next months.
So, zero words revised in October, but, amazingly, that still puts me at 96% of my revision goal for the year. Yup. I’m just that awesome 😉
And I have my work cut out for me with regard to some additional amendments to Initiate of Stone (one more run through, methinks), as well as a whole slew of revision notes for AoW. As the series arc progresses, I get further insights into what I’ve already written. It’s all good.
I think, more than anything, it was good to immerse myself in the world and characters of the story. It put me in a good place, mentally, to tackle Wavedancer.
As for the writing done in October, all 7,939 words of it were written on this blog.
I’m a traditionalist. I work on a new novel each NaNo challenge and, this time, I was tackling a work I knew I wouldn’t complete in November, even if I could achieve the word count necessary for a NaNo win.
As I mentioned, above, I had my doubts I’d even manage that.
As a result, I made some decisions, one of which was, with the exception of the curation posts I had prepared for the first week of November (960 words between the two of them), I wasn’t going to blog.
Working around professional and personal commitments, I fought for my writing time.
Here’s how things shaped up:
While I was out of town, I didn’t even manage a thousand words a day, and I didn’t write one word on the day of Wordstock Sudbury. I was out, manning the book table, participating in a panel on commercial genre fiction (specifically SF&F), attending a book launch, and reading my poetry. It was a full day.
I started to gain ground on the weekend, though, and though there were still a number of days on which I didn’t achieve the average 1,667 words, there were more days on which I wrote 2,000 or more.
And . . . drum roll please . . . I reached November 30 with 52,298 words written.
Flailing Kermit arms! Yaaaaaaaa!
I also don’t hate what I’ve written, not even during those hard slogging early days. That is, in itself, a triumph 😀
I continue to draft at a more reasonable pace. I’m aiming for 500 words a day, and so far (a whole three days in) I’m exceeding that goal.
I received a very kind rejection for one of the short stories I’d submitted to an anthology call earlier in the year.
Phil finished the renovations on the living room. We’re now, very slowly, cleaning up the house and purchasing our new furniture.
My love isn’t getting any younger, and had decided that next year (after a winter of building bookshelves and stocking them) he’s going to renovate the kitchen, bathroom, and side entry.
I’m happy to report that Phil and I are in good health.
The regular blogging schedule will resume, starting with this post. Tipsday and thoughty Thursday will also be returning. Next week, I’ll be moving on with the next session I took notes on at WorldCon.
I tried a new system for my curation posts in October, leading up to NaNo, that I’m going to return to.
In the past, I spent several hours every Sunday, reviewing my social media shares for the week and linking them with a brief framing sentence in my curation drafts in Word. Then, on the day, I’d copy the text into WordPress, format the links, add the picture, post, and then share to my social media accounts.
I’ll still have to do that this week, but now, I’ll be working smarter, not harder.
Every day, I’m going to spend a little time reviewing my posts of the day and copying them into the curation draft in Word. Then, on Sunday, I copy the text into WP, format, add the pictures, and schedule the posts, so that all I have to do on the day of is share it to my various social media accounts.
If I weren’t so paranoid about hackage and losing work, I might choose to draft right in WordPress, but once bitten, and all that 😉
I just thought I’d share in the event that this might make sense for you.
Next month: It will be another double update. I’ll be reviewing December’s progress and 2016 as a whole (goals and other gorgeous stuff). W00t!
Have yourselves a wonderful week.